Thursday, April 03, 2014

Spicy Chicken Soup

We do alphabet dates, my love and I, and last Sunday, I had a very lazy L date planned, one which would last us most of the day. Jeannene loves Lord of the Rings (well, who doesn't?), so I decided we'd park ourselves on the couch and have ourselves a marathon. If we were going to finish before bedtime, though, we had to get started right away and not dilly dally having brunch out somewhere. So, I made us a pot of chicken soup and called it good. It was pretty dang spicy, but very yummy. One issue I always have with noodle soups is that the noodles always sop up all the broth so I have leftover casserole instead of leftover soup. I've heard that you can cook pasta separately & then just portion it into the bowls instead of into the whole pot. This makes good sense, but I have not yet tried it. However, I did have a pretty great garbage skillet (eggs scrambled with whatever leftovers you have on hand) the next morning and the eggs mellowed the spiciness.

Spicy Chicken Soup
3-4 skinless, boneless chicken breasts, diced
2 tbsp. oil
2 onions, diced
5 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 tsp. cayenne
1 tsp. ginger
Pinch Chinese 5-spice
8 c. chicken broth
Salt & pepper
12 oz. egg noodles
2 scallions, thinly sliced
1 tbsp. parsley, minced

Heat oil in stock pot on medium high heat. Cook chicken about 5 minutes. Add onion & garlic. When it starts to brown, add spices & cook, stirring, 30 seconds. Add broth and bring to a boil. Add noodles and cook 8 minutes. Add scallions and serve garnished with parsley. 

Serves 8. 

No comments: