Friday, December 18, 2015

Longhorn, December 17, 2015

Last night, we had a little more Christmas shopping to do. When we were done, Jeannene was famished, so we went to the closest restaurant, which happened to be a Longhorn Steakhouse. I'm not sure I've ever been to one before and I was pleasantly surprised by the lack of peanut shells on the floor and the generally not-rustic appearance of the dining room. We ordered the cheddar dip with flatbread for an appetizer. It was tasty, but would have been infinitely better had it been hot, instead of lukewarm. My Moscow Mule, however, was perfect and Jeannene had a delicious seasonal local beer. We both got filet mignon and wedge salads. My side was a baked potato and hers was a pecan sweet potato casserole, which was tasty. The wedge salad really shouldn't have been called that, as it was more of a composed salad, with romaine leaves arranged artfully across the salad plate. It was nice and cold, though, so that was good. I was disappointed that the large amount of dressing basically drowned most of the salad. The lettuce was too delicate for that burden. My steak was good, although the blue cheese crust had to be scraped off, as the flavor and volume completely overwhelmed the flavor of the meat. Jeannene's filet, unfortunately, was cooked to medium, rather than the medium-rare she had ordered, so I had finished my steak before her replacement steak arrived. I think, after two mishaps like that, it might be time to cook tonight!

No comments: