Tuesday, December 08, 2015

Sloppy Joes & Pork Tenderloin Sandwiches, December 7, 2015

I went out by myself last night for the first time since before our baby was born, to get my brows arched and bangs trimmed, then to a cookie exchange at the library. I spent yesterday afternoon making the chocolate rum balls I learned to make from my almost-grandma. Every year, she had a wondrous "cookie factory" at her house and we would bake cookies and make fudge to plate up and take around to the neighbors. The rum balls were a perennial favorite and have become my signature Christmas treat. They do pack a bit of a punch, as the rum is not baked off! I included the recipe in a post about my own cookie factory a few years ago, along with a bunch of the other treats I make.

The other cookies at the exchange last night were:
-Cherry pie bars
-Lemon tea cookies (which were amazingly lemony!)
-Snickerdoodles
-Dutch cheese cookies with a cherry in the center
-Peanut butter blossoms
-Ritz smeared with peanut butter and dipped in chocolate
-Snowflake Ritz dipped in melted Andes mints and sprinkled with crushed candy canes
-Church windows cookies made with chocolate and colorful mini-marshmallows
-Rolled marzipan balls dredged in cocoa
-Cooked marzipan & meringue cookies
-Oatmeal raisin cookies from McDonald's
-Oatmeal white chocolate cookies dipped in white chocolate and sprinkled with crushed candy canes

You should have seen our sampling plates, piled high! I managed a bite of each cookie and brought the rest of my plate home. I was very ready for dinner!

Luckily for me, I have the best wife ever. She had not only cared for the baby, but she had done household chores and made dinner. She had a mug of hot cocoa with peppermint KahlĂșa waiting for me, too. She detests sloppy joes, but made them for me because I love them and did pork tenderloin for her sandwich. We also had waffle fries & corn.

No comments: