Thursday, October 05, 2017

Veggie Pizza, October 3, 2017

Seems like all my dinners this month so far are "I'd intended to..." dinners. This is another. I'd intended to make bbq chicken sandwiches to go with the veggie pizza I made, since the veggie pizza is basically an appetizer. Then, I decided I didn't even actually want the sandwiches and the pizza could easily be a main dish. So, I added some cut-up apple slices to that and called it good. The very first time I made this veggie pizza was when we were visiting my fairy godmama's enchanted cottage. Her beautiful old White German Shepherd, Silver, lay under the kitchen table as we cut veggies, rolled out crescent dough, and slathered crust with cream cheese mixture. We were surrounded by her hand-painted art cupboards and a shimmer of fairy dust. I think of that afternoon now every time I make this. If you're making this as an appetizer, it works best pressed into a 13x9 baking pan.

Veggie Pizza
2 rolls crescent roll dough
8 oz. cream cheese, softened
1/2 c. mayonnaise
1/2 pkg. dry Ranch dressing mix
A couple of scallions, sliced
A handful of baby carrots, cut into slivers
Some tiny cauliflower florets
Some tiny broccoli florets
A handful of mini sweet peppers, sliced into rings
A handful of shredded cheddar

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Press the crescent roll dough into a pizza pan. Bake 10 minutes, until golden. Mix cream cheese, mayonnaise, and dressing mix. Spread on crust. Top with veggies and press them into the cream cheese mixture. Sprinkle with cheese. Cover and chill at least 2 hours. Serves 8. 

No comments: