Thursday, June 22, 2006

Summer Cocktails

My favorite, being as I'm half-Cuban and all, is the mojito. Not the pomegranate mojito, not a mojito martini, just a plain, old-fashioned mojito. And if the bartender doesn't know what it is without me having to explain it...forget it! The best mojito I've had outside Miami, where I had my first mojito at Casa Juancho (www.casajuancho.com) with my uncle, is to be found at El Meson (http://members.aol.com/herglocas/index.htm) in West Carollton, Ohio. It's a fabulous Cuban-owned Latin dining spot and their mojitos, not to mention their tapas, are superb. Their fresh lime margaritas and caipirinhas are also great! However, until I find a new mojito spot here in Cleveland, I'll have to make my own. I call mine "Diva Mojitos" in honor of my Pittsburgh Diva friends. We all met online and met in person for the first time at the Pittsburgh home of one couple, where we spent the weekend visiting, making prayer beads, and learning how to put more joy in our lives. Oh, we also drank mojitos.
To make one:
8 fresh mint leaves (no subbing mint flavoring or anything of that nature)
Juice of 1/2 lime
1 1/2 oz. simple syrup
2 oz. rum
Club soda
Crushed ice

Put the mint leaves, lime juice, and simple syrup in the bottom of a tall glass. Use a muddler or narrow wooden spoon to crush the ingredients. Add the ice, then the rum and enough club soda to fill the glass. Stir and garnish with a sprig of mint and a wedge of lime.

What are some of your favorite cocktail recipes?

Daria

No comments: