Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Counteracting Teen Monotony

Our dear oldest has chosen frozen chicken patty sandwiches for both of his meal choices this month. This is why we only let them pick once a week, alternating weeks. Otherwise, we'd be living on burgers, pizza, tacos and convenience foods. To make dinner a little more interesting, but still Boot-friendly, I made a couple of dips to go with dinner. Knowing how much Boot adores Velveeta, I decided to try a chip dip recipe that I got from Country Weekly magazine. The late Chris LeDoux contributed the recipe. I also made a sour cream based fruit dip because I knew my wife would love it. I had salad, too.

Rodeo Dip
Large package Velveeta, cubed (I actually only made a third of the recipe and it worked out fine...we happened to have that much left over from the last dip we made for Boot, so if you have some hanging around, use what you have)
3 tomatoes, finely chopped
2 onion slices, finely chopped
1 small can chopped green chiles

Melt the Velveeta. Add the rest. Serve warm with tortilla chips. The fresh tomato is a nice switch from the usual Ro*Tel and without meat, it's much lighter. Also, I used 2% Velveeta.

Sour Cream Fruit Dip
4 tbsp. powdered sugar
1 c. sour cream (I used light)
2-3 tbsp. lemon zest

Mix sugar with sour cream. Add lemon zest. Chill 1-2 hours. Serve with fruit.



No comments: