Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Mexi-Breakfast

While the breakfast-for-dinner I prepared last night was not necessarily authentic Mexican food, it did have some of the elements of Mexican cooking, like avocados and certain spices. The boys had theirs American-style (Pie couldn't decide what kind of eggs he wanted, so he had one boiled, one fried and one made into a small omelet...Boot Velveeta-ized the beautiful pepper-jack scrambled eggs J made him) but J and I really enjoyed our spicy supper. I fried our eggs in a cast-iron skillet just until the bottoms were set. Then, I topped them with slices of pepper-jack cheese and popped them under the broiler until they were fully cooked and the cheese was melted. Meanwhile, I toasted English muffins and placed avocado slices on them. When the eggs were done, I slid them onto the prepared English muffins. It was delicious, like a new kind of Eggs Benedict. J added sour cream to hers & I imagine that salsa would go nicely, as well. J cooked some bacon to go alongside and I made Mexican-spiced potatoes, which I reheated for breakfast this morning.

Mexican Potatoes
4 potatoes, diced with skins on
1 tomato, diced
1 tbsp. oil
1/2 tsp. cumin
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. turmeric
Dash cayenne
2 tbsp. butter

Boil potatoes until tender, then drain. Heat oil in skillet and add spices, stirring to combine well. Add potatoes and butter, turning gently to coat the potatoes thoroughly. Add tomatoes and toss gently. Serve hot.



No comments: