Sunday, January 04, 2009

Grandma Sadie's Pie for Clyde

My granddaddy Clyde would have been 90 this January 4th and so to honor him, I wanted to make the beefsteak pie that he so often requested for his birthday dinner. My grandmom Janet had given me the recipe, having gotten it from Clyde's mother, my great-grandma Sadie. I remember Grandma Sadie from when I was very small (she died when I was only two or three years old). She was in a wheelchair, which she let my uncle Jazzbo take me for rides in, and wore a pink satin bedjacket and gave me candy corn out of the glass pear on her nightstand. That candy dish belongs to me now. Anyway, since both my grands have died now, I have decided to make that beefsteak pie every year on his birthday and have either Vietnamese or Chinese food for hers. The beefsteak pie is very easy and goes well with mashed potatoes (I had some left over from my annual New Year's White Dinner-pork chops seared, then covered in well-drained sauerkraut & simmered in a covered skillet for about an hour, mashed potatoes on the side) and corn.

Grandma Sadie's Beefsteak Pie
Double crust for a 9" pie
2 lb. boneless round steak with fat trimmed
Flour
Salt & Pepper
Water
Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Cube the steak and dredge it in flour (I use a gallon Ziploc). Shake off excess flour & brown, in two batches, in large skillet. Season generously. Put pie crust in pie plate. Put steak in crust. Sprinkle with 1/8-1/4 c. water. Seal crusts and vent. Bake 15 minutes at 425 degrees, then lower heat to 350 and bake another 45 minutes.

2 comments:

Daria Schaffnit said...

When I made the beefsteak pie this year, and last year I think, I used beer instead of water. Good stuff!

Daria Schaffnit said...

And I browned the beef in a little butter instead of a dry skillet.