Tuesday, January 06, 2009

More Fab Fish

Tonight, it was my turn to make a great fish dinner. I adapted a recipe for potato-crusted halibut from the Lodge at Vail, served with herbed lemon mashed potatoes and a spring mix salad. The potatoes came from an old issue of Southern Living. This is my adapted version.

Potato-Crusted Halibut
4 halibut fillets, 6 oz. each (I expect snapper or mahi mahi would sub well, but if you can get halibut, you really should treat youself)
Salt & pepper
2 russet potatoes
2 tbsp. butter
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Season fish. Peel and grate potatoes (I used the smaller side of the grater). Divide potatoes in four and place on the flat, skinless sides of the fillets. Melt the butter in an ovenproof nonstick skillet (I used my trusty Lodge) on medium-high heat. Add fish, potato side down, and cook 6-7 minutes without moving at all. Put in oven and cook another 5-7 minutes. Serve potato side up.
Herbed Lemon Mashed Potatoes
4 lg. potatoes, peeled & sliced
1 tbsp. butter
1 small onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
3/4 c. sour cream
1 tsp. lemon zest
1 tbsp. lemon juice
1 & 1/4 tsp. salt
1 tsp. dill
1/4 tsp. cayenne
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cook and mash potatoes. Melt butter in small skillet. Cook onion & garlic until tender. Add everything to the potatoes. Spread in lightly-greased casserole and bake 15-20 minutes.

No comments: