Sunday, September 07, 2014

Rosemary, Ham, & Manchego Scones

I love scones. They are one of my wife's favorite things ever. That said, I am forever complaining about the lack of savory scones in shops that sell them. We often stop for coffee as we head out for errands or church on weekends. Jeannene has a (sweet) scone or a house made granola bar or some other such breakfast. I am often stumped as to what I might eat because I am very seldom a sweet breakfast sort of person and few coffee places have plain croissants worth eating. Without a little something substantial to start my day, I can get cranky or start feeling bad fairly quickly. There must be a reason it's hard to find quick breakfast foods in coffee shops, but I can't figure it out. Probably, it has to do with the fact that I'm kind of a weirdo about breakfast! Anyway, I discovered a Rachael Ray recipe for scones that is perfect for my needs, although it doesn't solve the "what to get at a coffee shop" conundrum.  I can't imagine that other folks wouldn't also find them completely swoony. This is my version & it makes 4 large or 8 small scones. Vegetarians won't even miss the ham, if left out.

Rosemary, Ham, & Manchego Scones
1 small box Bisquick (the 5-8 serving size)
3 tbsp. finely-chopped rosemary
1/2 c. heavy cream
A pinch of salt
1/8 lb. ham, chopped
1/4 c. shredded manchego cheese
1 tbsp. orange zest (cut up the orange for a fruit side dish!)
2 tsp. sugar (Don't omit this. I was tempted to, but it's an important counterpoint)

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Mix together everything but sugar, being careful not to overwork the dough. Shape into 4 large or 8 small mounds on an ungreased baking sheet. Sprinkle evenly with sugar and bake 10-12 minutes for large scones or 7-8 minutes for small ones.






No comments: