Friday, September 11, 2015

Pecan Waffles, September 10, 2015

I do breakfast for dinner every so often, but it's very seldom anything like waffles or pancakes. I like them quite a bit, but I almost always require a savory breakfast. However, Jeannene adores the sweeter breakfast possibilities and I figured the bacon would help make up for the sweet. I served some honeydew with the pecan waffles I made last night, as well.

I don't make waffles often at all and haven't over the years. My pancakes are okay but not amazing and I never made really crisp waffles until last night. I think I never let the batter rest properly before or something. I also hadn't heard the trick of not stacking the cooked waffles while keeping them warm, but I ran across that somewhere and remembered to try it this time. With the finished waffles kept warm on a pizza pan, instead of stacked on a plate, in a 200 degree oven, they were wondrously crisp when we were ready to eat! Huzzah! I like to eat my waffles with Grade B maple syrup that's been warmed. They are, however, also great with fresh fruit.

Pecan Waffles
1 1/4 tsp. yeast 
1/8 c. warm water
1 tbsp. + 1/2 tsp. sugar
3 eggs
1 pint buttermilk
1/6 c. oil
Heaping 1 1/2 c. flour
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. baking powder
Pinch salt
A handful or two of pecans, broken into pieces

Mix yeast, water, and 1/2 tsp. sugar. Let stand until it get foamy, about 5 minutes. Meanwhile, whisk the eggs with the buttermilk and oil. Mix the flour, soda, baking powder, and salt together. Add the eggs, then the yeast, and mix well. Add pecans. Let stand at least 1/2 hour (you can do this the night before, if you're actually having them for breakfast. Just bring the batter to room temperature before cooking). Preheat waffle iron (I like to use my Belgian waffle iron when I'm making them for Jeannene, because that's her favorite, but I also have a wonderful regular waffle iron that makes heart-shaped waffles---use what you like best) and oven (to 200 degrees). Grease iron (I just use cooking spray). For a Belgian waffle iron, I use about half a cup of batter for each waffle. Otherwise, 1/4 c. to 1/3 c. seems to work best. When each waffle's done, place it on a baking sheet to keep warm. Serves 3. 

No comments: