Monday, October 10, 2016

Sloppy Joes, October 6, 2016

It's become a bit of a tradition of mine to eat sloppy joes for dinner when Jeannene is traveling. She thinks they're just awful and I love them. I have made them from scratch before, but I greatly prefer Manwich. I wonder if that's just because that's what I grew up eating. To go with the sloppy joes, I made a recipe for "school cafeteria" mac & cheese from Jane & Michael Stern. I suspect a lot of people would have loved it, but I have come to the conclusion that I really only like stovetop mac & cheese, and that made my particular way---simple stovetop mac & cheese. I did think it clever to top the mac & cheese with crushed potato chips, rather than breadcrumbs or something like that. I also tossed some green beans with olive oil and roasted them on a baking sheet at 450 degrees for 10 minutes. I then added a couple cloves of minced garlic, along with some salt & pepper, and put them in for another couple minutes. Dessert was a luscious pear.

No comments: