Monday, December 01, 2014

My Year in Food: Cheeseburgers with Sour Cream and Herbs, November 30, 2014

Much of the time, our family Sunday dinners are more elaborate than what we had last night. However, we've been spending a lot of time preparing elaborate feasts in the last week. Furthermore, with all the dining out we've been doing when not preparing elaborate feasts, I was left with a pack of hamburger that needed to be cooked. So, burgers and hot dogs it was last night!

The Pie and Bubbles arrived mid-afternoon and almost immediately began snoring on the couch (while our Blue Smoke Persian snuffled & snored away in the kitchen with me). The wife and I watched "How To Train Your Dragon 2," then began dinner preparation. I'd planned to make the burgers Wednesday night for Boot, but then my sweetie-pie got a hankering for wings, so that plan went out the window. Last night, I got to try a new take on burgers. It was heartily approved by Bubbles and Jeannene---Pie was too interested in the leftover cranberry yam bake to comment on anything else, but he ate his burger very happily. Along with the leftover yam dish, I also warmed some leftover cheesy hash browns in a skillet and set out veggies with dill dip. Jeannene cooked some hot dogs and I made these:

Cheeseburgers with Sour Cream and Herbs
2 lb. burger (I used 90% lean---I know, I know, they should be closer to 80% or, at most, 85%, according to the burger experts. Hey, they were good & healthier! You could also use ground turkey.)
1/4 c. sour cream (I used light)
1 tsp. marjoram
1 tsp. parsley
A healthy pinch of rosemary
A good grinding of pepper
8 slices cheese of choice (American, but I think brie would be wonderful)
8 buns
Condiments and toppings of choice

Mix meat with sour cream & seasonings. Form into 8 patties. Pan fry until browned on both sides and cooked through. Top with cheese & serve on buns, with whatever toppings each diner prefers. 

No comments: