Friday, December 12, 2014

My Year in Food: Sunday Dinner Ribs, December 7, 2014

Jeannene had a couple different kinds of ribs in the freezer, which she had purchased at a little butcher shop near her plant and was itching to make. She asked me to make mac & cheese to go along with them and did a dish of baked beans, as well. I teased her about the meal being very southern, with the veggies being non-veggies. It reminded me of the meat & threes I used to frequent when I lived in Nashville. Neither kid liked the mac & cheese, but us old folks loved it. Pie doesn't like mac & cheese in the first place, never has. Neither of my boys liked it when they were little kids. Isn't that unusual? And Bubbles didn't like it because she was expecting the bright orange boxed stuff, which she loves. She was so disappointed, bless her heart.

Jeannene did the ribs with 2 different kinds of bbq sauce---honey chipotle for the beef ribs and plain Memphis-style sauce for the country ribs. When we use bottled sauce, we like Sweet Baby Ray's. She used Bush's baked beans, but she always doctors them with I don't know what all. My mac & cheese is terribly simple and easy as can be. I am picky about mac & cheese and much prefer the stovetop variety to the oven-baked most times, as the oven-baked can be dry. I also like mine more gooey with cheese than saucy. So, if you like yours cheesy, too, this is the recipe for you:

Easy Mac & Cheese
16 oz. macaroni (do not make the mistake of using those cute noodles in holiday shapes---they fall apart---I used some beer stein ones we had in the cupboard so I didn't have to go to the grocery)
4 tbsp. flour
2 c. milk (you can use skim---or you can use cream---whatever)
4 c. shredded extra-sharp cheddar (you can use reduced fat, but make sure it is extra sharp)
1-2 tbsp. worcestershire sauce
1-2 tsp. mustard powder

Cook the pasta al dente & drain well. Sprinkle with flour, stirring to coat most of the noodles. Add milk and cook on low, stirring occasionally, until slightly thickened. Add cheese a little at a time, stirring between additions to melt the cheese and blend it in. When all the cheese is nicely incorporated, it's ready to serve. Serves 8. 

No comments: