Tuesday, December 09, 2014

My Year in Food: Chicken Casserole, December 3, 2014

I'd intended to make steak last Wednesday, but my sweet wife was suffering with a toothache and requested something soft. I gave her a choice of chili or chicken casserole and she chose the latter. I'm always a fan of a good church lady-type casserole. Unfortunately, this one I found online tasted a little bland to me. It was fine and served its purpose, a nice, soft, comforting dinner for the hurty-mouthed one. I think some worcestershire sauce would really do the trick with this, but I think the biggest difference would be made by subbing a can of cream of chicken soup for the sour cream the original recipe specified. The sour cream made the consistency fluffier, but I think it also blotted out some of the flavor. So, what I offer here is untested, but seems to me like it would be an improvement. If you try it and it's horrible, please do let me know. I had green salad and apple slices with it, a very little kid sort of supper.

Chicken Casserole
Meat of 1 rotisserie chicken, shredded or cubed
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 can  cream of chicken soup
1/2 onion, chopped (or, if you have a bunch of already-chopped leeks from another project cut up, try that, as I did)
2 oz. ch. pimientos
1/2 c. frozen peas
1 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
Salt and pepper
1 tsp. garlic powder
16 oz. egg noodles, cooked

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Mix ingredients well and place in a greased 13x9 baking pan. Cover and bake 30-45 minutes, until heated through. Serves 6. 

No comments: