Monday, December 15, 2014

My Year in Food: Roasted Pork Tenderloin with Fennel & Garlic, December 8, 2014

It certainly doesn't seem like I'm cooking very much this month, between dental issues for my wife and holiday activities! I did cook last Monday, though, and it was one of the best meals I've made in a long time. I did the pork tenderloin with mashed potatoes and green beans on the side. The steamer I've had (and loved) since 1998 appears to be dying on us, so the green beans were a good deal crispier than Jeannene prefers, but otherwise, the meal was outstanding. This was, I believe, the best pork I've ever made. If you are a fan of pork, you should absolutely make this. It's from the Martha Stewart's Everyday Food October 2008 issue, originally, although I have slightly changed some of the quantities & added lemon zest. Honestly, the fennel was so good that I think you should double the amount I used. I was hecka skeptical about the cooking temp & time, but I went with it and it was perfect.

Roasted Pork Tenderloin with Fennel & Garlic
14 cloves garlic, peeled
2 fennel bulbs, quartered
2 tbsp. olive oil
Salt & pepper
2 (1 lb each) pork tenderloins
1/2 tsp. oregano
A pinch of lemon zest

Preheat oven to 475 degrees. Toss the garlic and fennel on a baking sheet with a tbsp. of the olive oil.  Season with salt & pepper. Roast 10 minutes. While that's cooking, rub the pork with the rest of the oil. Season with oregano, lemon zest, salt, & pepper. Push the vegetables to the sides of the baking sheet and place the pork in the middle. Roast 20-25 minutes, until it reaches an internal temp of 145 degrees. Once it's out of the oven, allow to rest at least 5 minutes before sliced to serve. Serves 4. 



No comments: