Tuesday, March 22, 2016

Cold Cereal, March 19, 2016

For the second Saturday night in a row, we had cold cereal for dinner. We'd been to Ann Arbor to do some Easter shopping and stopped for a late lunch at Macaroni Grill. I was completely unimpressed by the appetizer of mac & cheese bites. The concept is great, but the only time I've ever really been wowed by them was the very first time I had them, at the Winking Lizard Tavern in Avon, Ohio. Usually, they are just bland as bland can be. The truffle sauce Macaroni Grill served with them did nothing to zing them up. Our entrees, however, were quite good.  Jeannene had a fabulous Buffalo chicken parmesan (yes, this makes no sense at all, but it was so good) and some fairly blah cappellini with gorgonzola cream sauce. My rosemary grilled ribeye, with new potatoes and grilled veggies, was very tasty, too---enough so that I was annoyed when the hipster waiter took my plate after I had put the leftover steak half in my box, but before I scooped the veggies in there. He'd been irritating from the get-go, acting as though the job was beneath him, and he finished the meal irritating, not even bothering to ask us if we were interested in dessert. I guess because I got a box, he assumed I was too full for dessert?

So, we weren't really hungry for dinner until much later---and then, not for very much. I knew as soon as we got back in the car that I wasn't going to want a proper dinner. I knew, too, that what sounded best of all was a nice bowl of Raisin Bran, so that's what I had. Jeannene tried a new-to-us cereal, a honey and oat medley.

No comments: