Tuesday, March 22, 2016

Annual First Day of Spring Dinner, March 20, 2016

I've been making the same meal in honor of the first day of spring for years, since I was in my early 20s. It doesn't always get made on the actual first day of spring, but that's when I aim to make it. The year I met Jeannene, 2001, I was late making it. I know this because on April 2nd, when we accidentally met at a women's discussion group in a church basement, I couldn't go to dinner at my favorite restaurant with her because I was heading to my grandparents' house to make them salmon patties, dilled new potatoes, and steamed asparagus. The good news was that we were already scheduled to meet later that week to go dancing with mutual friends, Carmen and Maria. They'd been telling me since February, when they met her at a poetry slam, that I would love her. Turns out I did. We'll be celebrating 15 years as a couple on April 7th this year.

You can find the recipes here. This year, I steamed the asparagus in our steamer pot for about 9 minutes, which was perfect for Jeannene and a bit too long for me.

No comments: