Monday, September 19, 2016

Burgers, September 18, 2016

After spending the whole day at the zoo, my feet were begging me to go out to eat. However, I was ready to make cheeseburgers---& ready to eat them! So, my feet had to suck it up while I cooked. I made tater tots and an asparagus-Canadian bacon sauté based on a green bean dish from Jan Karon's Mitford cookbook to go with our burgers. I also did a dipping sauce from her cookbook, altering it slightly and using it on the burgers, as well for dipping the tots. Good stuff!

Asparagus-Canadian Bacon Sauté 
1 bunch asparagus, broken into pieces
4 pieces Canadian bacon, chopped
1 bunch scallions, sliced
Salt & pepper

Cook asparagus in boiling, salted water until crisp-tender, 3-5 minutes. Meanwhile, sauté Canadian bacon and scallions in a skillet coated with cooking spray until bacon is crispy. Remove asparagus from pot with a spider (or drain in colander) & add to skillet. Cook a few minutes. Season with salt & pepper. 

Dipping Sauce
1/4 c. light Miracle Whip (can use regular or mayo)
1/8 c. ketchup 
1/8 c. chili sauce
1/4 onion, chopped
Splash of key lime juice (can sub lemon)
1 clove garlic
A pinch each paprika,salt, pepper, & dry mustard
A dash of Worcestershire sauce

Whiz everything in a food processor until well-blended.

No comments: