Thursday, September 22, 2016

Herbes de Provence Baked Chicken, September 20, 2016

I'd planned to make fried chicken with baked lima beans, broccoli, and spoonbread on Tuesday. We decided baked chicken sounded better, so I sprinkled boneless, skinless breasts with salt, pepper, and Herbes de Provence and baked them right along with my spoonbread. Unfortunately, I soaked the lima beans two nights, since I'd intended to make them Monday. By the time I got ready to mix up the baked beanish sauce in which they were to cook, the limas had begun to smell a smidge yeasty. Not wanting to take any chances, I dumped them in the trash. I haven't unpacked my steamer, so I boiled the broccoli too long. Even removing mine earlier, the tops were overdone for me. The limp version suited the rest of the family just fine, though.

My favorite parts of the meal were the spoonbread and the peach jello with cherries in it. Jeannene's mom went to Berea College in Kentucky and helped pay her way through by working at their well-regarded Boone Tavern as a waitress. My wife loves their spoonbread, which became her mom's spoonbread. I think she liked this version quite a bit.

Spoonbread
1/2 c. cornmeal 
1 c. boiling water
2 tbsp. butter (subs like Smart Balance work, too)
1/2 tsp. salt
2 eggs, well-beaten
1/2 c. milk (2% or skim is fine)
Extra butter to go on top, if you're so inclined

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Slowly whisk cornmeal into pan with boiling water, making sure it's nice and smooth. Stir in butter and salt. Cool until it's warm, rather than hot. Add eggs & milk, whisking a couple minutes. Pour into a greased casserole & bake about 40 minutes, until lightly browned on top. Serves 4-6.

No comments: