Saturday, January 04, 2014

A Delicious Twist on Rice

I am a big fan of plain, old Jasmine rice, steamed or boiled and embellished with nothing but a pinch of salt in the cooking water. However, every so often, I love to try something different with the rice. This recipe came from the Rice Council of America and it's fantastic. When I made it, I adapted the recipe for my vegetarian mom. I include both veggie and non-veggie possibilities here:

Cumin Rice
2 tbsp. bacon drippings or vegetable oil
1/3 c. chopped onion
1/4 c. chopped green pepper
1 c. long-grain rice
2 c. beef broth or veggie broth, boiling
1 tbsp. worcestershire sauce (vegetarians, be aware that this contains anchovy---soy might work in its place, or Bragg's Aminos, if you are strict)
3/4 tsp. salt
1 tsp. cumin seed

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Heat bacon drippings or oil. Add onion, green pepper, and rice and sauté until rice is golden brown. Put in a greased 2-quart casserole. Add everything else and stir well. Cover and bake 1/ 2 hour. Fluff lightly with a fork before serving. Serves 4.

No comments: