Thursday, January 30, 2014

Derby Pie

One of my go-to Thanksgiving pies is derby pie, that great concoction of pecan pie with added bourbon and chocolate. I started making this when I lived in Nashville and, thus, used Jack Daniels. I would be remiss, however, to fail to point out that it is not true derby pie unless Kentucky bourbon is used. 

Recently, someone on Instagram asked about it, after seeing a picture from this past Thanksgiving. Failing to find the recipe here easily, I am posting it now so that I can share it with her and all of you.

Crust for 9" pie
3 eggs
1 c. sugar
1 c. Karo syrup
2 tbsp. butter, melted
2 tsp. vanilla
2 tbsp. bourbon
A pinch of salt
1 c. whole pecans
1/2 c. chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Beat the eggs. Beat in the sugar, then Karo. Mix in the next 4. Fit the pie crust into a 9" pie plate and flute the edges. Scatter nuts & chocolate in crust. Pour egg mixture into crust. Bake 40-50 minutes.

No comments: