Thursday, January 02, 2014

Breakfast in Bed Day!

My mom and I found or created a holiday for every day of the year back when I was a teenager. Some of the holidays have changed, but, since the 1980s, January 2nd has been Breakfast in Bed Day for us. This year, I finally tried the crockpot oatmeal recipe I've been hanging onto for the last few years. I never was a big oatmeal fan, reserving my hot cereal love for cream of wheat (which, incidentally, is magnificent with a little apple butter and a handful of walnuts). However, this overnight sensation could make an oatmeal lover out of anyone! It's the perfect consistency and tastes wonderful. It's perfect for breakfast in bed, too, because all you have to do is scoop some up and climb back into bed. I recommend adding some of your favorite nuts and a little cinnamon.


Slow Cooker Oatmeal
Coat your crockpot with cooking spray. Add 2 c. regular oatmeal (or steel-cut oats. Just no instant or quick cook oats.), 1 c. fruit (I used dried cherries & raisins. You can use whatever you like. Apples or peaches would be good.), 4 c. water, and a pinch of salt. Cook on low 8-10 hours. Serves 6-8.

No comments: