Friday, January 03, 2014

Black Bean Chili for Deep Chill Week

I have been informed that we are supposed to have a HIGH of zero degrees next week. A high. That's not very many. It was zero when I got up this morning and I begged on Facebook for someone please to help Princess Elsa control her magic. I don't like to be frozen! If you are somewhere in the brr zone this week, too, you might consider putting on a pot of black bean chili and making a pan of cornbread. This is how I do black bean chili. If you're vegetarian, sub another can of beans for the beef. I like mine with plenty of sour cream and shredded extra-sharp white cheddar.

1 lb. lean ground beef
2 tbsp. peanut oil (you can sub whatever kind you have on hand)
1 lg. yellow onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
3 tbsp. chili powder
1 tbsp. whole cumin seeds (or a tsp. of ground cumin)
1 tbsp. worcestershire sauce
28 oz. can crushed tomatoes
1 green pepper, chopped
15 oz. can black beans
Salt and pepper, to taste

Brown the beef with the onion, garlic, and chili in oil. Drain the fat and add everything else. Simmer, covered, about an hour and a half.

No comments: