Tuesday, November 18, 2014

My Year in Food: Lemony Baked Fish, November 16, 2014

Since the children (our youngest and his girlfriend) moved about 10 minutes from us, instead of about 5 hours from us, we have begun to have them over for Sunday dinner each week. It's good for them, given their broke young people state, and fun for us to cook for them. Usually, Jeannene hogs the bulk of the cooking, but this week, I got to cook! I did a lot of not-really-cooking, to be honest. We asked them if they'd rather have pork chops or fish. They responded with an enthusiastic text message requesting fish, so we had lemony baked tilapia, because Jeannene requested a mild fish and the Red Snapper and Grouper were too spendy and we weren't sure if any of us would like the swai---we figure we can try that out when nobody else is dining with us. I had a wonderful Vietnamese catfish appetizer at The Winds Cafe once that I've always wanted to try to replicate at home, so I suspect that's what I'll do with the swai. We bought it simply because we've never tried it, so wish me luck on producing a good dinner when I use it!

Anyway, Sunday night, to go with the fish, I made some boxed rice pilaf (I like the Near East brand, with almonds---well, my favorite is the lentil pilaf, but Jeannene has an aversion to lentils) & served it with labneh we found at Nino Salvaggio's to top it. I added a kale salad and some leftover butternut squash casserole from Friday night. Dessert, for everyone but me, was a pumpkin pie that was on sale for $2.99. I'm not a fan of pumpkin pie, myself.

Lemony Baked Fish
4 fillets of a mild fish, like tilapia or grouper
Salt, pepper, garlic powder
3 tbsp. butter, room temp (you could also use olive oil)
3 scallions, chopped
Zest & juice of 1 lemon

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Place fish on a greased baking sheet (I use cooking spray). Sprinkle with salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Mix everything else together and slather on the fish. Bake 10-12 minutes. Serves 4. 

No comments: