Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Jeannene's Birthday Dinner, February 18, 2015

In our family, the birthday honoree gets to choose whatever they want for dinner, whether that's out to the fanciest restaurant, their favorite home-cooked dinner, or even junk food from the gas station, as our youngest chose several years in a row as a teenager. Jeannene decided this year that she really wanted my chicken enchilada casserole for dinner and chocolate ice cream cake from Dairy Queen for dessert. She loves corn and she loves Dole's chipotle cheddar chopped salad, so I had natural choices for sides. I also picked up some fresh pineapple, one of her favorite fruits. She always says, "It tastes like candy!" and I always crack up because, to me, it tastes nothing like candy! I think it cracks her up that I say, every time, "It does not taste like candy!" I also had chips and homemade guacamole waiting for her when she got home from work.

I'm traveling, so I don't have the exact casserole recipe with me. It's pretty simple, though. You preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Place 3 corn tortillas in a 13x9 pan. Top with layers of diced tomatoes, shredded cooked chicken, chopped green chiles, sliced black olives, sour cream, and shredded extra-sharp cheddar. Repeat the layers, using 9 tortillas in all. Bake for half an hour to 45 minutes, until the top is all bubbly & browned.

No comments: