Sunday, February 01, 2015

Monthiversary Dinner at Sullivan's, January 30, 2015

We tend to go out to celebrate our anniversary once a month and Friday was the day for January. I asked my dear wife where she'd like to go and, instead of responding with her usual, "I don't know. Where do you want to go?" sort of answer, she said, "Let's go to Sullivan's!" This great little Irish spot in Oxford has quickly become a favorite of ours. We started with the Irish guillotine, thickly sliced potatoes with bacon, good cheddar, and big pieces of scallion, which was yummy. One of the women who works there, when I mentioned wanting a mimosa, but not exactly wanting a mimosa, suggested prosecco with cranberry juice, instead of orange juice. That was delicious. Jeannene had a Magner's cider, one of her current favorites.

I knew the last time I had dinner there that I would have a burger the next dinner visit. I saw someone else's and it looked great. It was, indeed, perfectly cooked and featuring gorgeous marbled Irish cheddar. The chips were great, too, especially when sprinkled with malt vinegar. Jeannene had the fish & chips, which was truly excellent---perfectly battered and tender, almost silky, inside. The service, as always, was top-notch.

Neither of us was hungry for dessert, but Jeannene was really curious about the Guinness chocolate cake, so she ordered some to go and we shared it on the couch later. It was really lovely to behold and not bad tasting, either. I'm picky about cake, but I liked it better than many cakes I've had. Jeannene loved it.

No comments: