Monday, February 09, 2015

Steak with Creamy Paprika Sauce, February 5, 2015

My wife really loves steak. I like it, too, but she adores it. So, every so often, I like to throw it into the mix when I'm planning dinners. Last week, she found some terrific-looking ribeyes at the grocery, so I made them with a creamy paprika sauce. I did egg noodles and lima beans to accompany the steaks. Ribeye is normally my favorite cut of steak, with filet mignon a close second, so I was really looking forward to dinner. Sadly, every bite I took had a bunch of chewy stuff and I finally gave up in disgust. Jeannene's, however, was really delicious. She offered to give it to me, because she's sweet like that, but I was already put off steak for the moment. I'd better get my steak appetite back, though, because we're going out to a steakhouse for Bubbles' birthday dinner later this week! Anyway, I do highly recommend this sauce, just on a good piece of meat. It would, by the way, be stellar over pork chops, as well. 

Steak with Creamy Paprika Sauce
2 steaks of your choice
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. pepper
1 tbsp. oil
1 tbsp. butter
1 large onion, halved, then thinly sliced
1 big splash dry red wine
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tbsp. sweet paprika
2/3 c. sour cream (I used reduced fat, but wouldn't recommend fat-free)
1 tbsp. Dijon mustard
1 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce

Pat steaks dry. Season with half the salt and half the pepper. Heat oil in skillet over medium-high heat. Sauté steaks until they are cooked to your preferred doneness. Remove to plate and let stand, loosely covered with foil, 10 minutes. Wipe skillet, then heat butter in it until it has melted. Cook the onion 3-5 minutes. Add wine and scrape bottom of pan to deglaze. Add garlic, paprika, remaining salt, & remaining pepper and cook about 30 seconds, stirring. Add the other ingredients, mix well, and bring just to a simmer. Add any juices that have collected on the plate from the steaks. Serve over steaks. Serves 2. 

No comments: