Monday, March 23, 2015

Salmon Patties, March 20, 2015

I've been making the same dinner on the first day of spring since the early 1990s: salmon patties, dilled new potatoes, and asparagus. I usually steam the asparagus, but I roasted it this year, which was a mistake---the pencil-thin stalks were too thin to be roasted as long as Ina told me to roast them. Ah, well, live and learn. Otherwise, the meal was incredibly yummy. We ended up eating after midnight, as Jeannene felt ill and went to bed almost immediately upon getting home. We'd headed out to the grocery together to get food for our tea party, but before we got to the store, she decided she needed to come home and go to bed. She told me to let her sleep a few hours and then she'd have dinner. So, this year, it was a midnight supper to welcome spring! I boil the potatoes, drain them, and toss them with butter, salt and pepper, and snippets of fresh dill---a preparation learned from Sandy Baublitz, the mom of my friend, Charisma, who made them when we were in middle school---I loved them! The salmon patties are like the ones my grandmommy made, old-fashioned, made with canned salmon, and really yummy.

Salmon Patties
1 14 oz. can salmon (you don't have to pick the bones and skin out, but they completely skeeve me out, so I do)
1 c. saltine crumbs (about 25)
1 egg, lightly beaten
Salt & pepper
Dash of Worcestershire sauce
Oil for frying

Mix everything but the oil together. Form into 4 patties. Brown both sides in hot oil. Serve with tartar sauce (I make it by mixing pickle relish into mayonnaise). 

No comments: