Wednesday, April 20, 2016

Cheeseburgers, April 17, 2016

I made cheeseburgers, hash brown casserole, and a green salad for our Sunday dinner. I usually just use salt, pepper, garlic powder, and a little Worcestershire sauce mixed into the ground beef when I make burgers. I decided to get creative this time and regretted the choice. They weren't inedible, but they weren't great, by any means. They were entirely overseasoned and quite a disappointment. I used lemon pepper, thyme, paprika, garlic powder, salt, pepper, coriander, cumin, and a smidge of cayenne. Next time, I'll go back to my old familiar seasonings.

However, the hash brown casserole, based on a Paula Deen recipe, was so yummy that I made it again for my MOMS Club brunch yesterday. There's nothing even a little healthy or redeeming about it, just the decadent yumminess. I think, though, that you could make it slightly less unhealthy, so I've noted substitutions. Also, I didn't have any cream of mushroom soup for the MOMS Club version and it was still good with cream of chicken soup. I'd tend toward the mushroom, though.

Hash Brown Casserole
20 oz. refrigerated hash browns (the shredded sort; frozen would be fine, too)
2 c. shredded sharp cheddar (2% would be fine; I wouldn't use fat-free, as it doesn't melt well)
1 can cream of mushroom soup (can use Healthy Choice/98% fat-free)
1 c. sour cream (I used 2%, not sure how fat-free would do in oven)
1/2 stick butter, melted (I suspect this could be greatly reduced or even omitted)
1 small onion, chopped
Salt & pepper
Garlic powder

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Mix everything but 1 c. cheese. Spread in 13x9 baking pan that's been coated with cooking spray. Bake about 20 minutes. Top with the remaining cheese and bake another 10-15 minutes. Serves 4-6. 

No comments: