Thursday, January 08, 2015

Fish with Reduced-Fat Béarnaise, Tomatoes, and Capers, January 6, 2015

The night before last was my wife's night to cook. We'd picked up some tuna steaks and tilapia fillets at Whole Foods and she was eager to make some fish. I wasn't 100% sure I'd like the tuna, so she made tilapia for me and tuna for her. Turns out I did like the tuna, but I never know with seafood, so next time, I will have that. She handled the fish while I made the sides, roasted butternut squash and blanched haricots verts.

Jeannene's cooking is usually a winging-it sort of proposition, so I seldom know what she has done and she can't ever make the same dish twice because she doesn't know what she's done, either. However, the fish was fantastic, so I might as well try to reconstruct it. What I do know is that she sprinkled it with dill and a little salt and pepper. I think there was another herb besides dill, too. Then, she baked it. While it was baking, she made a sauce of Knorr béarnaise mix, fat-free milk, Smart Balance buttery spread, cherry tomatoes, lemon juice, and capers. I'd've been completely happy to squeeze a little lemon juice over mine---the dill was really yummy---but the sauce was good, too.

I bought pre-cubed butternut squash and tossed it with a teaspoon of olive oil, a little salt, and pepper. Then, I baked it on a baking sheet at 400 degrees for half an hour. It was my very favorite part of the meal. The haricots verts, I just popped in boiling water for a  minute or two, then took them out. I skipped the traditional ice bath part of the process because Jeannene doesn't like her beans too crisp, so the extra cooking after they were drained was just perfect for her.

No comments: