Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Pork with Dijon Sauce, January 13, 2015

I'm not usually very much of a sauce person and my very favorite way to eat pork chops is simmered in a skillet with sauerkraut. However, my wife loves sauces of all kinds. So, this dinner was right up her alley. I am mourning the loss of my beloved steamer, as that's my favorite way to cook vegetables. I've had it since 1998, though, so I'd say it is allowed an honorable retirement. It simply started taking longer and longer to get veggies to the desired tenderness. We had another steamer that I thought would make a great back-up, a yard sale find of Jeannene's, but it doesn't work much better than my old one does now. So, until I get off my duff and purchase a new one or learn how to steam veggies properly without a steamer, it's boiled or blanched for us. Yesterday, I did broccoli and overcooked it. The stems were tender, but the tops were a hot mess. We also had instant polenta. I can't imagine myself spending 45 minutes stirring the real deal and I never think of baking it, so instant is a pretty good substitute. You can cook the pork chops however you normally cook them. Sometimes, I pan fry mine, sometimes I bake them. Then, just a smidge of the Dijon sauce.

Creamy Dijon Sauce
1 c. heavy cream
1/2 c. Dijon mustard
Salt & pepper
1 tbsp. cornstarch, dissolved in a little water, if desired

Mix the cream, Dijon, salt, & pepper in a small saucepan and heat over medium heat. Stir until slightly thickened. If you desire a thicker, creamier consistency, add cornstarch and stir until smooth. This should be enough for 6-8 servings.

No comments: