Tuesday, January 19, 2016

Glazed Roasted Chicken, January 18, 2016

Yesterday morning, before we headed out to the MLK Day celebration at the Henry Ford Museum, I began to marinate the chicken for our supper. It sat all day in a teriyaki-based marinade, then I roasted it when we arrived home. I served it with the curried rice recipe my mom passed along to me and some green beans. I am still missing my beloved steamer---I really do need to replace it---but I am finally managing boiled green beans that are not overly done (which makes me sad) and not overly crisp (which makes Jeannene sad). The curried rice was as tasty as my mom promised and the chicken was juicy and flavorful.

Glazed Roasted Chicken
1/2 c. teriyaki sauce
4 tbsp. orange juice
3 tbsp. sesame oil
5 cloves garlic, minced
3-lb. roasting chicken
Salt & pepper

Mix the first 4 together. Season chicken with salt & pepper. Place in shallow pan or gallon Ziploc with half the sauce. Marinate 8 hours or overnight. Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Bake, breast-up, in a 13x9 baking dish. Bake 50 minutes, covering with foil after about half an hour. Pour the rest of the marinade over the chicken in the last 5 minutes of cooking. Serves 4. 

Curried Rice
3 tbsp. oil (you can use less)
1 small onion, chopped
1 tsp. curry powder
2 tbsp. tomato paste
1 c. jasmine or basmati rice
2 c. stock (chicken or veggie works best)
Salt & pepper

Sauté onion in hot oil until translucent. Stir in curry and tomato paste. Add rice and stir to coat well. Add stock, bring to a boil, cover, and cook on low until rice is done, about 14 minutes. Serves 4-6. This would also be good with some cooked chicken or tofu thrown in, as a main course. 

No comments: