Tuesday, January 19, 2016

Uppity Book Women Potluck, January 16, 2016

Whenever the Uppity Book Women meet to discuss a book, we usually have a potluck supper, as well. This month's book was The Color of Water: a Black Man's Tribute to His White Mother by James McBride. I had it in my head that I would make soul food and Jewish food, since McBride's mom was Jewish and soul food was mentioned several times. In particular, I thought I might make macaroni and cheese (his sister's specialty) and matzo ball soup (well, Jeannene was going to make that). However, things got busy and I didn't make it to the grocery. It was going to be a small crowd, so I decided just to make mac & cheese, which is always plenty of a meal for me. In fact, I had it for lunch today, with a Cara Cara orange on the side. I'd made my favorite version, just on the stovetop, and plenty of it! You can find the recipe here.

Sue was the only other attendee, so Jeannene whipped out leftover BBQ pork for sandwiches. It was the perfect accompaniment for our mac & cheese. Sue is a baker, and an excellent one, at that, so she decided to make a sour cream coffeecake. This was a tribute to the middle of the night conversations McBride had with his mom over coffeecake. It was delicious!

No comments: