Saturday, January 30, 2016

Chile Verde, January 30, 2016

I'd planned to make chile verde last night, but we ended up eating out after going to the movies, so I made it tonight. It's rich-tasting and spicy and very good over rice. I made corn and a salad to go alongside. This is one of my favorite dishes at good Mexican restaurants, but when not done well, I really dislike it. This version is great.

Chile Verde
1 tsp. oil
2 lb. boneless pork shoulder, fat trimmed, cut into 1" cubes
Salt & pepper
2 onions, chopped
1 jalapeño, minced
1/2 poblano pepper, minced
3 cloves garlic, minced
3 c. chicken broth (I use the fat-free, lower sodium sort)
2 tsp. oregano
1 tsp. cumin
1 tsp. coriander
24 oz. tomatillo salsa (or just canned tomatillos, if you can find them---I couldn't)
Lime wedges

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Heat oil in Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Season pork with salt and pepper. Brown in oil. Remove to paper-towel-lined plate. In same pot, sauté onion, peppers, and garlic until tender, about 5 minutes. Add rest, including pork, but not including lime wedges. Bring to a boil. Cover and bake 1 1/2-2 hours. This will make your house smell fabulous. Serve over cooked rice with lime wedges to squeeze over each portion. Serves 6-8. 

No comments: