Tuesday, January 19, 2016

Salmon Cakes, January 14, 2016

I usually make salmon patties once a year, for my first day of Spring meal (along with asparagus and dilled new potatoes). However, I love them and found a different recipe for them---well, for salmon cakes, with potato in the mix. So, I decided to make some last night. Y'all, they just were no good---way too mushy. Maybe if I'd chilled them longer before cooking them or made them smaller, they would have turned out better, but I think I'll stick to my usual recipe, since we are both really pleased with it. I'll just make it more often. If you want to find my good recipe, you can go here. I served these with a really tasty cauliflower gratin and a Caesar salad.

Cauliflower Gratin
1 large cauliflower, cut into florets
3/4 c. each shredded cheddar and Gruyère (reduced fat is fine---I wouldn't use no fat)
Freshly ground nutmeg
2 1/2 tbsp. butter (you can lessen this amount by a bit)
1 shallot, minced
3 tbsp. flour
1 1/2 c. milk (skim is fine)
A splash of dry white wine
Salt & pepper
A handful of panko

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Mix cheeses together. Cook cauliflower about 5 minutes in boiling water, then drain. Place in a 2-quart casserole. Top with half the cheese. Grate nutmeg over the cheese. Cook the shallot in just a smidge of butter until it's tender. Add the rest of the butter. When the foam subsides, whisk in the flour and cook for a couple minutes, being careful not to burn it. Slowly whisk in the milk, a bit at a time, making sure to eliminate the lumps. Cook just until thickened, a couple more minutes. Add wine and cook another minute or two. Season with salt and pepper before pouring evenly over cauliflower. Top with the rest of the cheese, then the breadcrumbs. Bake 25-30 minutes. Serves 6. 


No comments: