Saturday, January 02, 2016

Pork Chops & Sauerkraut, January 1, 2016

Every year, unless we're traveling, I make pork chops and sauerkraut for our New Year's Day dinner. Some years, I also make black-eyed peas. I know making greens is also a tradition, but I am not at all skilled at them. I've thought it might be nice, though, to do some greens of some sort, for good prosperity luck. So, I added my favorite kale salad to the menu. We had green beans and mashed potatoes, as well. I like to roast my green beans in a 500 degree oven for about 7 minutes, after tossing them with olive oil, salt, & pepper. For the pork chops, I pat them dry, season them with salt and pepper, and sear them in a hot skillet on both sides. Once they are seared, I top them with well-drained sauerkraut, turn the heat down to low, cover them, and let them cook for about an hour. Sometimes, I let them go a smidge longer and they become fall-apart tender. You can find my kale salad recipe here.

Happy New Year, everyone! May 2016 be delicious for all of us!

No comments: