Thursday, February 11, 2016

Cannellini Vegetable Soup, February 8, 2016

When I host the women's Red Tent group each month, I like to make a pot of soup to nourish the women attending. We have members who are vegetarian and gluten-free, so I try to make sure to keep the soup within those guidelines. The soup I chose this month can be made either with ground beef or beans. I opted for cannellini beans. I made a pot for home and a pot for Red Tent. I took some Italian bread, some Rice Thins, and a bunch of red Twizzlers for dessert. I made the pot for home slightly differently than the pot I took, adding 32 oz. chicken broth. I'd forgotten to pick up veggie broth at the store and hadn't got time to get any, so I decided to use a little water, instead. I didn't think either version was great, but my wife keeps raving about how much she loves it, so I guess it's worth sharing the recipe.

Cannellini Vegetable Soup
2 cans cannellini beans, drained (or your favorite kind of beans or 2 lb.  browned ground beef or veggie crumbles)
32 oz. chicken or veggie broth
1 onion, chopped
1 zucchini, cut into half-moons
1 can corn, drained
28 oz can stewed tomatoes
2 tbsp. oregano
A pinch of garlic salt
A couple bay leaves

Mix everything together and heat through. Serves 10-12. You can also throw this in a crockpot and cook it on low for 6-8 hours. 

No comments: