Thursday, February 18, 2016

Oceania Inn, February 13, 2016

My bestie and her husband came up for Elijah's baptism, as they are his godparents. She is vegetarian and I always feel that Chinese and Indian restaurants are often the best bet for a decent variety of choices for vegetarians. We haven't yet discovered a really good Chinese restaurant in the area, so we settled for pretty decent, the Oceania Inn in Rochester (or is it Rochester Hills? I never know where lines lines of delineation are). The service there has been friendly the two times we've been and the atmosphere is fine. It's nothing to write home about, but nothing to complain about, either.

Saturday night, we ordered the beef steamed potstickers for the meat eaters at the table, but were given the chicken ones, which some of us loved. I didn't think they were terrific, but I think that was largely because I had hoped for pork. My hot and sour soup was very good, as was my beef with pea pods. The quality of the meat is above what you find in a lot of Chinese places. For dessert, we each got to choose a flavor (strawberry, chocolate, or vanilla) of Blue Bunny ice cream, which came in little styrofoam containers with pull-off cardboard lids. This made me feel as though I was back at Vacation Bible School, so that was a fun thing, even if the ice cream itself didn't knock me off my feet. Really, my favorite part of dessert was the fortune cookies, which actually had a lovely vanilla flavor.

No comments: