Monday, February 22, 2016

Green Bean Salad with Walnuts, Fennel, and Goat Cheese

When I had my annual valentine-making party this year, I made a wonderful green bean salad. I promised to share the recipe with the Wild Mango Queens, but thought I might as well share it here on the blog, as well. I also served a quiche Lorraine from the grocery and some red Twizzlers. The latter have been a valentine-making party staple ever since my friend, Joe, brought some to one of the parties way back in the 1990s. I always think of him with a smile when I put them out for my guests. He showed up at the door that night looking so handsome and Valentine-y, in a pink dress shirt and tie, Twizzlers in hand. Desserts this year were supplied by Sue, who brought black bottom cupcakes, and Meghan, who brought a lemon trifle.

Green Bean Salad with Walnuts, Fennel, and Goat Cheese
1 1/2 tbsp. Dijon mustard
2 tbsp. red wine vinegar
A pinch of salt
A good grinding of pepper
1/3 c. olive oil
2 lb. green beans, trimmed and halved
1 bulb fennel, thinly sliced into half-moons
3/4 c. walnuts, toasted
4 oz. goat cheese, crumbled

Whisk mustard, vinegar, salt, & pepper together. Gradually whisk in oil. Cook green beans about 7 minutes in boiling, salted water. Drain and rinse under cold running water. Pat dry, then mix with fennel and nuts. Add goat cheese and dressing just before serving, gently tossing to coat everything evenly. Serves 8-10. 

No comments: