Wednesday, April 15, 2015

Carrot Soup, April 13, 2015

I kind of suspect my wife was avoiding the carrot soup I planned to make for several days. I finally made it on Monday and, frankly, it was fine, but not stellar. Jeannene took a few bites and was done. I ate a whole bowl and thought it was okay, but would not make it again. Neither of us is a big carrot soup fan in the first place, though, so you may really love this soup. I am trying to broaden my cooking horizons and this was an attempt. I made sure to have some chicken salad and crackers, too, as well as veggies and dip (Marzetti), so that if we didn't like the soup, there'd be plenty we did like. I believe either one of us could cheerfully have eaten the entire amount of chicken salad all by ourself. I hope you like it, too.

Carrot Soup
5-6 c. chicken or veggie stock/broth (if you want a thicker soup, use 5. I used 6 so as not to waste half a can of broth)
1 lb. carrots, peeled and chopped
2 stalks celery, chopped
1 onion, chopped
1 leek (white and green parts only), chopped
1 sweet potato, peeled and chopped
About an inch of fresh ginger, peeled and minced
1 1/2 tsp. cumin
1 tsp. coriander
1/8-1/4 tsp. cayenne
1 c. buttermilk (this can be omitted or you can sub soy milk/creamer or almond milk)
Juice of 1/2 lemon
Salt & pepper

Mix everything but the buttermilk and lemon juice in a soup pot. Bring to a boil. Cover and simmer on low 20-25 minutes. Puree either with an immersion blender (one of my favorite kitchen tools) or, carefully, in batches in a regular blender. Add buttermilk and lemon juice. Adjust seasonings and heat through. A little curry powder would not be misplaced, with the other spices. Serves 6-8. 

Chicken Salad with Walnuts
2 c. chopped cooked chicken
A handful of chopped walnuts
2/3 c. mayonnaise
1 stalk celery, chopped
1 onion, chopped
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
Salt and pepper

Mix everything together and serve with crackers. Also good for sandwiches or with fruit. Serves 4.

No comments: