Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Mitchell's Fish Market, April 10, 2015

I'd planned to make the dinner I didn't make on Thursday for our Friday dinner, but my wife was hungry for fish, so we stopped by Mitchell's Fish Market in Rochester Hills. We'd been there for drinks before and had been favorably impressed, but hadn't yet returned for dinner. I sometimes get weird about eating seafood, kind of like when I get weird about eating other meats on the bone, and, unfortunately, that happened Friday night. I had ordered grilled tilapia and the first bite of it tasted moldy to me. This particular flavor has assailed my tongue at other places, especially with tilapia, but also sometimes with swordfish and mahi mahi. I am never sure if it's the restaurant or my weird tastebuds. It's never happened to me at home. Jeannene refused to try it to see if I was crazy or if it tasted bad. Luckily, they were very gracious about giving me something different. I felt bad about it, but I was not eating that fish. I decided to try the scallops, which were perfectly cooked. They tasted terrific to me, but I was too wigged out to eat them. Yes, I am a weirdo. I ate half of them and gave the rest to Jeannene.

I was pretty dang happy with my mashed potatoes and wonderful mixed veggies. You know how "mixed vegetables" is often code for "overcooked squash and broccoli"? In this case, it meant beautiful, crisp-tender green beans, carrot slivers, and broccoli. We had a fabulous appetizer of almond-crusted baked brie and their sourdough is actually sour! I would go there just for bread, veggies, and cocktails (or lattes, which is what we had Friday). We shared a mini portion of their Sharkfin Pie. It was more than enough for the two of us and it was really yummy and peanutty. It's fudgy ice cream with peanut butter, in an Oreo crust, coated with peanuts. I am not usually a peanut or peanut butter person, but it was good.

No comments: