Monday, April 20, 2015

Skillet Quiche, April 15, 2015

We had leftover ham and Jeannene asked me to make quiche, so I decided to try this idea I'd seen in Jeffrey Saad's Global Kitchen for quiche you make in a skillet on top of the stove. I don't think it really qualifies as quiche, but it was definitely yummy and a lot faster than regular quiche. It's more like a frittata with a crust. The nice thing about it is that you can use whatever fillings you like.

I made a fennel & cabbage slaw and some pears with honey and queso fresco to go with it. I don't like traditional, mayo-based coleslaw, but I am a huge fan of non-creamy slaws and fennel is one of my favorite additions. For this slaw, I just tossed a package of cole slaw mix with a sliced bulb of fennel. Then, I added the juice of 1 lemon, a big pinch of sugar, a couple glugs of olive oil, salt, and pepper. I tossed it all around to get it all coated with the dressing. The red d'Anjou pears were heavenly drizzled with a little warmed honey and served with queso fresco. I might dust them with a bit of freshly ground pepper next time, just to see what that does.

Skillet Quiche
6 eggs (you can probably do this with egg whites or Eggbeaters, too)
1/4 c. half and half (milk is fine, too---even skim)
A pinch of salt
A grinding of pepper
1 c. shredded Swiss cheese (this can be low fat or even omitted)
1 tbsp. olive oil
1 c. panko (regular dry breadcrumbs are fine, as well)
1 tsp. herbes de Provence
1/4 c. grated parmesan cheese 
1 slice of spiral ham, chopped
7 grape tomatoes, halved
A handful of spinach leaves, chopped 

Whisk eggs with half and half, salt, & pepper. Stir in the cheese. Cook panko and herbes de Provence in olive oil in a medium skillet. Press into the bottom and sides to form a crust. Sprinkle the bottom with parmesan. Add ham, tomatoes, and spinach---or whatever fillings you like! Pour in the eggs & cheese. Cover and turn down heat to medium-low. Cook until set, 10-13 minutes. Serves 4. 




No comments: