Thursday, April 23, 2015

Lili's Diner, April 21, 2015

Lili's Diner, in Oxford, Michigan, is one of Jeannene's favorite places to eat. I really like it, too. It's just one of many little, unpretentious diners that flourish in this part of the world. Frankly, Jeannene and I thought the genre was almost dead until we moved up here and found them everywhere! Jeannene called me in the later afternoon on Tuesday and invited me to join her in shopping for the Earth Day raffle she was having at work. We picked out a blueberry bush, a peach tree, a bunch of seeds, and some other gardening items. What fun that was! Then, we drove to Lili's to have breakfast for dinner. My mom had told me they were having oatmeal pancakes (I am hoping for the recipe---sounds great!), so I thought about getting pancakes, but I usually don't like my main course to be sweet.

I ordered a fried egg and sausage sandwich on an English muffin, with hash browns on the side and a cup of sliced bananas and strawberries for dessert. Everything was, as always at Lili's, really good. The hash browns, actually, had been kind of blah when I'd had them before, but they were truly fabulous the other night! I can't put my finger on the difference, but it's definitely there. Jeannene and I suspect they've found a source for butter from fairy cows or something.

Jeannene was kind enough to let me have a couple bites of her wonderful banana pecan chocolate chip pancakes. Wowee! She had some turkey sausage on the side, as well as cottage cheese to start. The diners around here almost all have very good cottage cheese.

I was not thrilled with the service the other night, as the waitress seemed a bit unfriendly. However, she also had the entire restaurant as her "section," so perhaps, although it wasn't crowded, she was a little frazzled. Usually, the waitresses we have are very friendly and cheery, so it was a bit of a surprise for us.

No comments: