Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Steak with Sherried Onions, March 24, 2015

Since Jeannene hadn't been feeling so well, I wasn't sure how a real, full-bodied meal like steak with sherried onions would go over. So, when she called home and asked what was for dinner, I thought she might request something different. However, when I responded that we were having steak, she was ecstatic! She gave the meal a 9.5. I liked it quite a bit, too, although I'd've been just as happy with no sauce at all on my ribeye. I always like a good, fluffy baked potato with my steak and, because Jeannene's been sick, I decided to make one of her favorite veggies (which isn't mine), peas. We also had my current favorite bagged salad, the Dole spinach one with the cherries & white balsamic vinaigrette.

Steak with Sherried Onions
2 ribeye steaks, about 1 1/4" thick
Salt & pepper
1/4 c. sugar
1 1/2 onions, finely chopped
1/2 green pepper, minced
1 tsp. minced jalapeño
1 c. chicken broth
1 tbsp. dry sherry
1/8 c. red wine vinegar

Heat sugar in large skillet, stirring often, until it has gone to syrup and become deep amber. Keep a close eye on it, as it can burn in an instant. Add onions, green pepper, and jalapeño. Cook over medium-high heat, stirring every so often, until onions are caramelized. Add broth and a pinch of salt. Bring to a boil. Cook to reduce the sauce somewhat. Add sherry and vinegar and cook another minute or so. Rub the steaks with salt and pepper. Broil 4-5 minutes per side, for medium-rare. Let stand, tented with foil, for about 10 minutes before serving with sauce. Serves 2. 

No comments: