Thursday, August 13, 2015

Chicken Roll-Ups, August 11, 2015

My friend, Kira, gave me this recipe for chicken roll-ups years ago, but I never got around to trying it until Tuesday night. I will definitely be making it again, as my wife said, as she moaned in ecstasy over them, "Put five stars by this one so you'll make it again." She also said she thinks it's the best chicken she has ever had in her life and rates 10 out of 10. I thought it was pretty dang good, myself. I served with with mashed potatoes, cornbread, and lima beans. I meant to serve some peaches with it, too, but I forgot. Ah, well.

Kira's Chicken Roll-Ups
2 skinless, boneless chicken breasts, pounded thin
4 oz. cream cheese, room temperature
Garlic powder or garlic salt
Parsley, snipped
Chives, snipped
4 slices bacon

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spread the cream cheese evenly on the chicken breasts. Sprinkle with garlic powder, parsley, and chives.  Roll up and wrap each with 2 strips of bacon. Secure, if needed, with toothpicks. Bake 30-40 minutes, until done. Broil for the last 5 minutes so the bacon gets browned. Serves 2. 

Cheesy Cornbread
1 c. self-rising cornmeal
3/4 c. self-rising flour
1/2 c. oil
8 oz. creamed corn
2 eggs
1 c. sour cream (reduced fat works fine)
1 c. shredded cheddar (reduced-fat works fine)
Salt & pepper

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Mix everything. Pour into a well-greased cast iron skillet. Bake 1/2 hour. Serves 8-10.

No comments: