Monday, August 31, 2015

Roast Chicken, August 27, 2015

When your wife brings home a beautiful roasting chicken and requests in her sweetest tone to have it roasted and presented to her for dinner in the next couple of nights, it's delightful to comply! She was looking for homey and I was happy to oblige. I'd been planning pork chops & sauerkraut, so it was to be a comfort food night, anyway, and I'd not yet bought the pork. So, I brushed the chicken with melted butter, rubbed it with herbes de Provence & garlic powder, salted and peppered it, replaced the innards with a big handful of fresh rosemary, and stuck it in the oven surrounded by baby carrots, quartered red potatoes, and onion wedges. Half an hour at 425 degrees, another hour at 350 degrees, and our meat thermometer reported that supper was ready. Of course, I had to let it stand another 10 minutes for the juices to settle back into the meat. It was tender and scrumptious!

No comments: